Thursday, 29 March 2012

Vintage popcorn pattern....

I've just bought a "bleeding hearts" plant and it is
so beautiful... my favourite plant of all time
... After finding a vintage crochet blanket in a charity shop and loving the pattern, Sue from Mrs Micawber kindly worked out the pattern and here it is!

Vintage popcorn square:

The pattern is in US terminology. US dc is UK treble stitch.
Popcorn stitch: Make 5 dcs (uk trebles) in one stitch. Take out hook, leaving the loop. Insert the hook from front to back in the top of the first dc of the group, then into the loop. Take the yarn round the hook and draw it through both loops on the hook to complete the popcorn.

Round 1-

Chain 4, slip stitch

Ch 3 (counts as first dc) ch 1, (dc 1, ch 1) x 7
Join with sl st in first ch3 sp. You should have 8 dcs and 8 1 ch spaces.

Round 2:

Ch 2. Make popcorn in first 1 ch sp, (ch 4, make popcorn in next sp) x7. Ch 4, join with sl st in ch-4 space after first popcorn.

Round 3:

Corner section: Ch 2, make popcorn in same ch-4 sp, ch 5, make popcorn in same sp (corner done).

Side section: Ch 1, dc in next ch-4 sp, [ch 1, dc] twice more in same sp, ch 1 (side section done).

Repeat corner section and side section 3 more times around. Join w/sl st in ch-5 sp after first popcorn.

Round 4:

Repeat corner section from Round 3.

Side section: Ch 1, v-st in next dc (dc, ch 1, dc in same st), dc in next dc, v-st in next dc, ch 1 (side section done).

Repeat corner section and side section 3 more times around. Join w/sl st in ch-5 sp after first popcorn.

Round 5:

Corner section: Ch 2, make popcorn, ch 4, make popcorn, ch 4, make popcorn (corner done).

Side section: Ch 1, v-st in next dc, dc in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, v-st in next dc, ch 1 (side section done).

Repeat corner section and side section 3 more times. Join w/sl st in ch-5 sp after first popcorn.

Round 6:

Corner section: Ch 2, make popcorn, ch 4, make popcorn in same ch-5 sp. Ch 4, make popcorn in next ch-5 sp, ch 4, make popcorn in same sp (corner done).

Side section: Ch 1, v-st in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc (twice), ch 1, dc in next dc (twice), v-st in next dc, ch 1.

Repeat corner section and side section 3 more times. Join w/sl st in ch-4 sp after first popcorn.

Round 7

Corner section: Ch 2, make popcorn w/joining loop on top: (popcorn, ch 5, sl st through hole at top of popcorn - popcorn w/joining loop made), ch 4, make another popcorn with joining loop in same sp; ch 4, make regular popcorn in next ch-4 sp, ch 11 (giant corner joining loop), make regular popcorn in same sp; ch 4, make popcorn w/joining loop in next ch-4 sp, ch 4, make popcorn w/joining loop in same sp (corner done).

Side section: Ch 3, dc3tog (like a cluster) in next 3 dcs, ch 5, sl st in sp between tops of 2nd and 3rd dc of cluster (joining loop made on top of cluster). Ch 3, dc3tog in next dc, ch sp, and next dc. Make joining loop on top of cluster. Ch 3, dc3tog in next 3 dcs, make joining loop on top of cluster, ch 3 (side section done).

Repeat corner section and side section 3 more times. Join w/sl st to 1st popcorn.

There is a wonderful Korean blog with a diagram pattern for this square. The lady calls it


Do check it out as the diagram is wonderfully clear and her crochet is super.



I hope you enjoy making this pattern and I would love to see your projects, so please leave links in the comments section x

42 comments:

sharms said...

Many thanks for the pattern!

Okmin said...

I saw your photo in pinterest and I tried to make the motif.
and finally I did. you can see here.. http://ehtory.blog.me/150135148997
but I wondered I can open the pattern. because I consider it's not my origianl pattern. I just copied the motif from your picture.

but now.. you opened the pattern.(it's slightly different to mine)
so I decide posting about how to make this pattern on my blog.
is it right?

I'd like to thank you for your post.

* I'm korean, my english is not good. I hope there be no misunderstanding.

Sandra said...

What a fascinating and lovely pattern. I bet that popcorn stitch eats up the yarn! Your version in white and turquoise is lovely and fresh looking.
What a beautiful picture of the bleeding heart flower (such a tragic name for such a beauty).
Have a lovely day!

MeMe Rose said...

I think it is OK to write your pattern, congratulations on working it out.

Rustic Vintage Country said...

Thanks to you both for the pattern, I'll be giving this a go soon. Suzy x

Sandra said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I have pinned this, so I guess it will be lots thaking you...... I will try this asap!
Hugs,
Sandra

Stocki said...

How generous of you to share this pattern.. thanks so much.. I love it- it reminds me of a cover I used to have on my bed when I was little! :)x

Carol said...

Thank you and thank you to Mrs. M too.
I hope to make one for Sibol when I get a new printer and can get a copy of the pattern.
Have a lovely weekend.
Carol xx

vintage grey said...

This is great!! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern! I can't wait to try it! Have a wonderful weekend! :) xo Heather

melanie said...

I love this blanket, it reminds me of a vintage candlewick blanket. I have bookmarked this pattern as I know I just have to do it, thanks for sharing :) x

Little h said...

This is GORGEOUS!!! I can't wait to make it- just have to finish my other projects first!

Do you have an estimate of how much yarn it takes? Did you use a sport weight for the yellow one?

MeMe Rose said...

The blanket was bought from a charity shop; I did not make it. The previous posts to this one will tell you the story...

I have only made one square using the pattern and I used 4 ply yarn for that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you & Mrs. Micawber for working this out! I loved the afghan the moment I saw it and was so disappointed you didn't have the pattern. I'm going to start making it this weekend!

YOUR CHESS CUPCAKE said...

Lovely Pattern, beautifully made!

Trish said...

Oh, I love this so much! I would not have come up with something like this in a million years, but looking at it, it's sweet perfection! Thanks for offering up the pattern.

newgirl1954 said...

I love this! I made my first square in pink....how would you suggest edging the blanket after it is sewn together?

MeMeRose said...

Well if you look at the yellow and orange vintage blanket, they have made the popcorn square in orange and used that as the border which I think looks good.

Anonymous said...

I have started this project in a lovely purple and turquoise! I am unsure how to join the squares together at the corners. Is there a trick to it?

MeMeRose said...

In truth I do not know the answer... it is something I would like to know myself! I have only made a couple of these squares. I can't work out how the lady did it on the blanket I bought and would probably fashion some sort of slip stitch myself. Let me know how you get on and I would love to see a photograph of your work so far.

Anonymous said...

I have one square finished and will try to post a pic. I am pretty proud! It looks very impressive but has minimal counting just a lot of labor with all of the popcorns! I am new to both popcorns and dc3tog and this will be my first large project. This may be obvious to better crocheters but because of the joining loops you I think you have to 'join as you go' perhaps with a slip stitch like you said?! I will make my next square in the contrasting color so that if I manage to figure something out I can post it. I am using a 5mm hook--a smaller hook might have made it look a bit nicer.

Anonymous said...

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/10dte2f.jpg[/IMG]

MeMeRose said...

I love the turquoise and purple colours you are using so far... this will make a stunning blanket. I think in the joining loops you have to double crochet together. in us terms this is single crochet. Look forward to seeing more x

Anonymous said...

Dear MeMeRose,
I have searched for pattern for my only granddaughters bed and I love this one. I am going to try it out. Love the colors but it has to be in Pinks. What weight yarn should I use?? Thank you so much........ Thank you Linda

MeMeRose said...

Hi Linda
I have only made a couple of squares of this pattern so far and I have used 4 ply yarn with a 3.5mm hook. This square is twice the size of a square on the vintage blanket. My suggestion is to experiment with different yarn and hook sizes. A DK yarn and larger hook might make a good blanket. My square was 6 inches square using 4 ply yarn, the vintage square was 3 inches square. Good luck trying this pattern... your granddaughter is very lucky.

Anonymous said...

I love your Blog and thanks for getting back to me. I am in love with this pattern. I am going to try different yarn and hooks. I will take a picture and show you how it looks. Thanks again Linda

M Kathryn Adkins said...

that is an incredible pattern!

cescaa said...

oh my gosh, you are so talented! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing!!<3

Anonymous said...

Love this pattern and am going to try and work up a square this evening. THANK YOU for posting it!
Katherine = )

Anonymous said...

WOW girl, I can't read Korean, but your site is hot! Love your version of this pattern too! Thanks for sharing!
Katherine

Napptural Triplet Mum said...

I'm so glad that the pattern is available. I really want to make thus into a blanket for family. Would it be ok if I was to sell an item made from this pattern, with credit going to you and Mrs Micawber?

Napptural Triplet Mum said...

I'm so glad that the pattern is available. I really want to make thus into a blanket for family. Would it be ok if I was to sell an item made from this pattern, with credit going to you and Mrs Micawber?

Diana - TantiPunti said...

Beautiful! Many thanks from Italy! :)

Curmudgea said...

With great thanks to you and Mrs. Micawber, I've finished my version of your wonderful discovery, and you'll find it here. http://www.curmudgeashouse.blogspot.com/
Not a very accomplished blogger, I may have got some of the links wrong, and I hope you don't mind my sharing your photos. I also hope I didn't get the genesis of the pattern incorrect.

Curmudgea said...

Thank you for your lovely comments about my version of your vintage afghan. I used worsted weight yarn and an H hook. The motifs turned out to be about 9 inches square. You are welcome to post any of my post that you like. I'm flattered that you'd want to!
Kay

Curmudgea said...

I owe you an apology for posting one of your photos on my blog without permission. I do know better, and I just realized I should have asked permission. Your photos are professional-quality-gorgeous, which is one reason people on pinterest, including me, are so attracted to that afghan pattern. If you want me to delete the photo, leaving only the link to your blog, just say the word. In a previous life, when I first started working, I was copyright permissions manager for a major medical journal pubisher, so I definitely should be more acutely aware of these issues. But . . . senile and acute are oxymorons, lol.

Michelle Delgadillo said...

OH Wow! I found this image on TipNut and clicked on over. I am in love with your blog! Your work is beautiful and sooo Sooo colorful. It's so refreshing to see such beautiful work. We get so busy in our lives that we forget to stop and look around. It's 1:33 AM for me and I couldn't help myself. Thanks for sharing - soo much!
Michelle in Washington

Michelle Delgadillo said...

Oh Wow! Your work is Beautiful! I was on TipNut and saw the image of your vintage baby blanket & had to jump over to see. I'm in love with your blog! Its soo colorful and refreshing! It's hard to remember to stop and look around sometimes. It's worth the wait though. Thanks soo much for sharing! I can't wait to use this pattern!

Vintage Crafter said...

I just found a vintage Coats & Clark pattern book with a pattern that is quite similar to the one that you have here...well, the finished product of course...I wish I could post a pic for you to see!!!

Minerva said...

Thank you so much for the pattern to this beautiful Afghan. I saw the picture on facebook were Meladora posted it and Fran posted the link, so I was able to get to this page. I will most certainly try to make it. Thank you once again.

lostsentiments said...

OH MY! The finished pattern here looks divine! thank you for sharing it and for designing it as well!

awesome, awesome, awesome :D

thanks again! Can't wait to make it!!!

PS - I must find you on ravelry... assuming you are on there... ;)

♥ Dawn

peterspebbles said...

Absolutely wonderfully BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Thank you for sharing this pattern I can hardly wait to get started on it!!!! It is sooooooo unique!!!
Thanks DEBnVal The Knitter Girls

Biz said...

This is absolutely fantastic. I was looking for a unique afghan to make for a young couples wedding and I think this is it. Thank you so much! :)